A question regarding auto-despawn

Submit ideas and suggestions on how we display, catalogue and export the resources.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Sobuno
Developer

A question regarding auto-despawn

Post by Sobuno » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:36 pm

Hi

Are resources that auto-despawn when another resource comes along always available? I.e. would Yavinian Avian Meat always be available no matter what?

I am considering making it say somewhere when a resource that SHOULD be available is not available (= Somebody marked the previous spawn as unavailable without listing the new spawn). Would it be of any use?

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Re: A question regarding auto-despawn

Post by Savacc » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:54 pm

The answer to your first question is yes, but you know that.

As to the second, not to me, since I know that if there is no planetary or JTL resource listed as available it is because it has not been reported yet.

We have looked at the .tre files before. Assuming they are correct, they tell us all the resources classes that should be spawning. Using that, you could easily make a checklist of all possible resource spawns. For those people who want to keep their server completely up to date, it would let them know.

If you did do this, we would want a check box to hide it, so those users who want to only see the current resources as they are now can still do so.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:19 pm

In Beginners Guide for Traders I clarified a section on resources some weeks ago (BTW: I am soon done with another complete-overhaul of the guide, just the expertize chapter left) and added the term "mandatory resource classes".

One way to say it is:
All planetary resources are mandatory --- except for Mustafar; the other way is
All Energy, Organics and all Fiberplast are mandatory.
That is, they always have one and only one resource in spawn. The only exception is in between a despawn and new spawn if the servers lag. However, not all mandatory creature resource classes can be harvested from a creature in the worlds --- seems like some species are extinct 8)

Perhaps a link to another page where missing resources are listed would do.
Or if you just had a line where the stats use to show, saying that the resource are missing.

I agree with Savacc, options to hide this is wanted.
Some people would probably want to see missing regular resources but never Energy.
Others never want to see missing non-harvestable. And do forth.
'A place of options it is, them you must do' 8)

/Zimoon

PS: Good to see you back, I hope you had a great time at the ski resort :)

arakknya
Novice Crafter

Post by arakknya » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:46 pm

I know this is an old post, but I think this functionality would be very handy for creature resources. I started going through them last night and decided I didn't have the patience to check the missing resources. I'm assuming that this functionality hasn't been put in ...

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:25 pm

arakknya wrote:I know this is an old post, but I think this functionality would be very handy for creature resources. I started going through them last night and decided I didn't have the patience to check the missing resources. I'm assuming that this functionality hasn't been put in ...
To my understanding it is in place, if there are a few that do not work that is a bug.

However, may I hint you about SWGAide and the feature at Resources >> Submit Resources. The help file explains it in detail, press F1 when at the mentioned panel or find the index.html file next to SWGAide once you have started it once. But in short, assuming you have "installed" SWGAide and setup the Options >> SWGCraft dialog, then ...
  1. Launch SWGAide, select the toon you play, and navigate to Submit Resources
  2. Bottom left, filter for Creature Resources
  3. Leave the Age at 6 days, the minimum age of resources in SWG so you do not need to bother with fresher
  4. Press the Write to rem.txt button
  5. Go into SWG, open the notes file with /note rem
  6. Open your veteran 30k crate (assuming you have not rashly popped it)
  7. Navigate the crate to Creature Resources and begin
    Notice that the resources in the notes file are listed in the same order as in the 30k crate, there is no need to jump back and forth
  8. The notes file reads resource class by class, their names and their age, such as
    Arakknya, Corellia Wild Meat, 8
    or
    , Corellia Wild Meat,
    if there is no resource listed at SWGCraft for Corellia Wild Meat
  9. Compare the name with the bottommost name* of the crate
    - if they equal each other, move on to the next resource
    - if they differ, enter or edit the listed name to the bottommost name, leave the resource class, replace the age with the the stats .... then move on
    - should it happen that you notice a spelling mistake between the resource in the notes file and the crate, correct the name the following way (a new feature)
    =Correctname=Oldname, and you can leave the rest of the line as is
  10. Once all are done, or when you get tired, close the in-game notes pad
  11. Go to SWGAide and press the Load from rem.txt button
  12. The main list populates, if you see a red-tinted entry, click it and correct whatever SWGAide complains about at the upper section of the panel and then click the upper Apply (Submit) button
  13. Press the lower Submit button --- the lower left side area of SWGAide's status bar displays all actions
    If there is an error a dialog displays at the end
  14. Done
This seems way more complicated than it actually is, but better safe than sorry.

Why this suggestion? Because this is the smoothest way to update creature resources that exist right now, at least that I am aware of. People have been using SWGAide for ISDroids a long time, but possibly this feature is not equally well known or utilized.

You can of course use this panel for any other kind of manual submission, in the very same way. To submit a Desh Copper you may rather add a line to the notes file that looks like
Tat, Nab, Ro, Ya, Desh Cop, 123 234 345 456 567 68...
and it is submitted for the 4 specified planets. I wrote it this way to stress that abbreviations are OK as long as they are not ambiguous; play around at the upper section to find out more about the abbreviations, just stay away from the submit button :P

Good luck
Zimoon

* With very rare exceptions the most recent resource is always listed bottommost in the crate, when it is not it is a temporary glitch and it is rather topmost. But that is so very rare that if no resource is listed at SWGCraft today you can safely use the bottommost without worries.

sambril
Novice Crafter

Post by sambril » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:09 pm

An oldish thread, but to answer the OP there can be a short window between one mandatory resource despawning and its replacement becoming available. It would only be a matter of minutes though. It has happened me with an animal resource that I was harvesting (hide or meat I forget which) that despawned while I was hunting and I had a few corpses where there was no corresponding resource before its replacement kicked in.
(former) Engineering Senator

Sambril Starlight, FarStar: Elder Entertainer, Alliance General (retired), Basilisk: Master Entertainer, Master Dancer, Musician, Image Designer.
Joylin Lightstar, FarStar: Elder Droid Engineer, Basilisk: Droid Engineer

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:55 pm

Zimoon wrote:
arakknya wrote:I know this is an old post, but I think this functionality would be very handy for creature resources. I started going through them last night and decided I didn't have the patience to check the missing resources. I'm assuming that this functionality hasn't been put in ...
To my understanding it is in place, if there are a few that do not work that is a bug.
I think he is talking about the second half of my post:
Sobuno wrote:I am considering making it say somewhere when a resource that SHOULD be available is not available (= Somebody marked the previous spawn as unavailable without listing the new spawn). Would it be of any use?
Which I never got around to adding as there didn't seem to be a whole lot of demand for it.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:49 am

Sobuno wrote:
Zimoon wrote:
I think he is talking about the second half of my post:
Sobuno wrote:I am considering making it say somewhere when a resource that SHOULD be available is not available (= Somebody marked the previous spawn as unavailable without listing the new spawn). Would it be of any use?

Oooops
:oops:

Which I never got around to adding as there didn't seem to be a whole lot of demand for it.