Ship Armour...

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Shipwright Expertise.

Moderators: Savacc, Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Ship Armour...

Post by Monty Burns » Thu May 15, 2008 1:40 am

What is the best combination,
- High Hit Points, Low Armour
- High Armour, Low Hit Points
- An even mix, 50/50 Armour/Hit Points

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Re: Ship Armour...

Post by Savacc » Thu May 15, 2008 1:50 am

What happens is, once the shields are penetrated, first the "armor pts" of starship armor are used, then the "hit points". Once those are gone, random parts are hit, first on their armor, then hitpoints. I think almost all of us experiment "armor" first, then either "hit points" or mass. So I go with option 2, though really any of the 3 will work.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Thu May 15, 2008 2:04 am

Savacc wrote:What happens is, once the shields are penetrated, first the "armor pts" of starship armor are used, then the "hit points". Once those are gone, random parts are hit, first on their armor, then hitpoints. I think almost all of us experiment "armor" first, then either "hit points" or mass. So I go with option 2, though really any of the 3 will work.
I am looking at this for my own personal use and what I have are Mark III Durasteel Plating with roughly 1300-Armour and 1200 - Hit Points, I don't really care about mass as I am only using 56k out of 180k. I am trying to decide whether I should try a different combination.

In terms of shields I use a MKIII Deflector with 1400 front and rear Hit points 3000 Drain and a recharge rate of 7.85 and I have no idea whether this is good or bad for a shield generator.

Laidbacca
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Laidbacca » Thu May 15, 2008 10:34 am

Sounds like a heavy X chassis if its 180k mass, if i was loading one up i would look to end up with this loadout, 2x RE borstel/tri cannons at 50k mass (44k mass) (i'm allowing excess mass on most parts here, ideal RE mass is in brackets), a Mk5 engine 34k mass, a lvl 6 reactor 12k mass 26k+ gen (9k mass), a lvl 8 reward shield RE'd 30k mass (25k mass), mk 3 collection cap 6k mass, mk 1 booster and chaff 2k mass, mk 3 DI 2.5k mass. That little lot comes in at around 135k mass without armour or a missile tube or 123k mass with top notch RE parts being used, so you have 45k mass left to play with for armour.

I would look to using two lvl 8 RE starmap reward slabs here, well RE'd they will give you 2k hitpoints with about 14k mass each (11k mass ideally) which would leave you enough mass left over to stick in whatever launcher you want or if your ship can handle the drain then perhaps a 3rd borstel or up your cap to the mk 4 collection one for far better recharge rates.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Fri May 16, 2008 12:59 am

Laidbacca wrote:Sounds like a heavy X chassis if its 180k mass, if i was loading one up i would look to end up with this loadout, 2x RE borstel/tri cannons at 50k mass (44k mass) (i'm allowing excess mass on most parts here, ideal RE mass is in brackets), a Mk5 engine 34k mass, a lvl 6 reactor 12k mass 26k+ gen (9k mass), a lvl 8 reward shield RE'd 30k mass (25k mass), mk 3 collection cap 6k mass, mk 1 booster and chaff 2k mass, mk 3 DI 2.5k mass. That little lot comes in at around 135k mass without armour or a missile tube or 123k mass with top notch RE parts being used, so you have 45k mass left to play with for armour.

I would look to using two lvl 8 RE starmap reward slabs here, well RE'd they will give you 2k hitpoints with about 14k mass each (11k mass ideally) which would leave you enough mass left over to stick in whatever launcher you want or if your ship can handle the drain then perhaps a 3rd borstel or up your cap to the mk 4 collection one for far better recharge rates.
Hehe its a Y-Wing Longprobe Chassis (179110.48 Mass) that I invested a lot of time and resources in producing, my problem is that I am trying to get X-Wing certified (I have the xp) and I just can't seem to get past one quest so he will upgrade me to X-Wing certification.
To date I am certified for level 4-5 equipment only.

Astari_Shipyards
Novice Crafter

Post by Astari_Shipyards » Fri May 16, 2008 3:11 am

If you're having a lot of trouble with missions in the longprobe, might look into a high-mass Z-95. Hopefully you're already using droid overloads, but if not even the level 2s make a big difference. A level 3 astromech will hold all 4 level 2 overloads and shunt. I found the simplest way through the rebel squadrons is Z-95 until certed for X-wing, then x-wing through ace. (was before heavy X was around...that'd be faster at killing the vette). But then longprobe is a great ship for certain purposes, so if you like it by all means keep at it.

Probably my luckiest armor looted was a level 8 plate with 5k mass. That RE'd with the nym starmap reward is a pretty sweet slab.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Fri May 16, 2008 3:36 am

In general the Y-Wing gas been great but on this particular mission I have to fight off about 4 waves of tier 3 imperial craft (all types) and before I can get them all my shields and armour are shredded.

I think the total number of enemy ships is about 9-12 and I can get about 6-9 of them but eventually just run out of shields.

I think this is the quest:
Defend the gunboat

Go to the given waypoint and defend that position against waves of Imperial forces:

1st wave:

* 3 Tier 3 "TIE Fighter".

2nd wave:

* 3 Tier 3 "TIE Interceptor".

3rd wave:

* 2 Tier 3 "TIE Interceptor".
* 1 Tier 3 "TIE Bomber".

4th wave:

* 3 Tier 3 "TIE Fighter".

I get into the third wave easy enough but I am always screwed by the 4th wave.

Astari_Shipyards
Novice Crafter

Post by Astari_Shipyards » Sat May 17, 2008 2:09 am

At the risk of taking this topic away from the forum's purpose, have you tried shooting out their engines? Ties can be stopped with fewer hits that way, then blasted at your leisure once the entire wave is stopped. The heavy Z gives a bit more shooting accuracy so they go down faster, which lets you get hit less. Bombers (Y-wing) vs dogfighters (ties) will hone your pilot skills, but if you're having trouble you might look into other ships.

If I remember right, the Z has about 95k mass (more if well-built). One less gun than the Y-wing, but faster and much more responsive. Excellent for fighting off ties.

If you were on a server I'm on, I'd offer to fly the mission with you.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Sun May 18, 2008 1:53 am

Interestingly enough the High Mass Z-95 (96k Mass) on Sunrunner goes for 12 million at the cheapest so I am guessing I have to make my own.

But it will be a fun little challenge.

:)

Well managed one with 97k Mass and 1915 Hit Points so I will test it out and see what happens.

Laidbacca
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Laidbacca » Sun May 18, 2008 12:59 pm

You will be a lot harder for the AI to hit with the Z 95, stick as good an engine and shields in there as you can and an RE weapon, RE blasters (even bad ones) are a lot more effective than crafted. Also use whatever droid commands you can, weapon overload and engine overloads are more or less a must. Using shield shunt will also help your longevity, go light on armour if you have to if it means more hitpoints on your shields.

exhibit69
Novice Crafter

Post by exhibit69 » Mon May 19, 2008 2:33 am

Dear Monty:
At the risk of being forward, please message espetejou in game. I will be happy to assist you in any space mission you are having trouble with. At the mission level you have reached, missions become all but impossible without a wing man.
Sincerely:
Exhibit69