RE v. Crafted

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Shipwright Expertise.

Moderators: Savacc, Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Ibaum
Apprentice Crafter

RE v. Crafted

Post by Ibaum » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:07 pm

I've been looking at spaceTribe and I'm just having a little difficulty reading their chart. Can someone tell me what crafted parts are on par with or better than REd ones? Thanks.
/Ibaum

TradeMaster
Intermediate Crafter

Re: RE v. Crafted

Post by TradeMaster » Thu May 01, 2008 1:54 am

Space Tribe is a great site, but I think the RE vs crafted chart is a bit outdated. From my experience, the first part I had RE'd that was better than an equal level crafted item, was an RE 5 reactor. and that was a tiny bit lighter, with a tiny bit more energy output. I knew an amazing shipwright on Bria who was kind enough to craft me level 1, 3(RE 4,5) and 4(re 6,7) items for my ship, I think I may still have a number of the parts in my ship now. A great gent but he is now retired, making a baby in RL will do that to ya.

Laidbacca
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Laidbacca » Thu May 01, 2008 2:47 am

Currently, virtually all crafted ship weapons are inferior to looted reasonably well RE'd blasters. Mid grade sized reactors 15-30k+ gen rates are also better when RE'd than there crafted counterparts. Engines are probably fairly evenly balanced, you gain with crafted engines on a mass/performance ratio but with RE'd you gain on a power drain/performance ratio. Shields for fighters are better RE'd, for POB's/GB's though you defo want to use crafted. Boosters are about 99% better when crafted over there looted counterparts, RE'd boosters suffer greatly from lower speed, slightly more mass and similar drain compared to crafted, that said there is an argument for RE'd boosters with there higher acc (worthless stat imo) and faster recharge. DI's, go crafted everytime at every level. RE'd armour is also very nice, crafted tends to be a bit heavier on mass than well RE'd.

Ibaum
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Ibaum » Thu May 01, 2008 7:25 am

Thanks guys.
/Ibaum

Alodarn
Novice Crafter

Post by Alodarn » Thu May 01, 2008 10:12 am

I've not really found that RE stuff is any better than crafted, I think I've had one or two bits that have been.

However, I know exactly why at the Higher end of stuff RE will beat crafted:

With crafted stuff, you have x number of experimental points, and for the items that have multiple worthwhile stats, you have to choose where to max your item, so crafted items loose out somwhere.

However, looted stuff has semi random stats, and potentally can have a good number across all values. This gets more pronounced when you start REing, the RE process takes the best of the values and makes a hybid item. So if you combine a light but slow engine with a fast but heavy one you end up with a fast light engine.

Weapons really make me grumble, as I've tried it and it works : combine a shield weapon and a armour focused one ends up with a weapon better than I can possibly craft.