New to SWG

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Shipwright Expertise.

Moderators: Savacc, Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

khaldin
Novice Crafter

New to SWG

Post by khaldin » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:27 pm

hello,
I just found the new site and am looking forward to getting to know you all.
I am just starting SWG, I bought the game when it was first released but had to leave due to real life circumstances.

I am wanting to learn to be a shipwright and was wondering if anyone knew of a good guide for starting out crafting and learning the art of artisan. I have found some things by trolling but so much seems so old.

Thank you all in advance for any help provided. :D

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:31 am

Welcome around!

The old site SWGCraft.com is still up and about. There are some guides, for example Beginners Guide for Traders, but more specific guides are also found. Over time we hope that fresh readings will find its way here :)

Good luck and have fun

/Z

thgilsrooc
Novice Crafter

Post by thgilsrooc » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:05 pm

Welcome back to SWG. It is better than ever, in my opinion. It isn't perfect, but meh...

The official forum is the best place to go. There are FAQ's on everything from creating a grinding macro to resource usage. There is a really nice community too.

One word of advice is to stay away from the gameplay discussion area, and a great place is Tansarii for other advice.

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:43 pm

Welcome,
Zimoon's Guide is the best primer for anyone wanting to be a trader in this game. Ild suggest you bookmark it and keep coming back to it. Often you wont understand what he is saying until you try it yourself.

So you want to be a Shipwright? Shipwright is paired with Architect to make the Structures Trader profession. Ild recomend that you first concentrate on architect. It will be easier to learn and more forgiving to the newcomer. Build your crafting infrastructure: houses, factories, crafting stations and harvesters, as an architect while you are gathering all the resources you will need to be a shipwright.

Milara
Novice Crafter

Post by Milara » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:22 am

Indeed. SW is an awesome profession, but it does require at least a little know-how about space piloting, as well as some devoted attention to resources. The advice I give to any aspiring SW (aside from warning them never to make anything better than what I make *grin*) is to do the grind on the architecture side while accumulating resources. Lots of ship part purchasers are looking for quality and a SW that knows what stats really matter on the experimentation process. Whereas structures give quite decent exp per combine for leveling as well as having a large selection of non-stat components and whatnot, good for grinding on junk resources.

Second bit of advice I'll give to anyone, pro or new, is to always test your own builds yourself before expecting a customer to pick them up. Make a set of parts and pop them into your own ship. Take it for a spin. You'll learn pretty quick how to tell if something you made is decent quality, as well as finding out what stats really need to be upped by experimentation.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:33 am

Savacc wrote:... Often you wont understand what he is saying until you try it yourself. ...
I tried to keep it dense and short. If there is a way to convey the matter in a better way, anybody feel free to advice me. English is not my native tongue so please bear with me :)

/Z

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:27 am

Zimoon wrote:
Savacc wrote:... Often you wont understand what he is saying until you try it yourself. ...
I tried to keep it dense and short. If there is a way to convey the matter in a better way, anybody feel free to advice me. English is not my native tongue so please bear with me :)

/Z
Sorry Z, :oops: I didnt mean that in any way as a criticism of you or your english skills. I think your guide is outstanding and very well written. :) All I was saying is that sometimes it is hard to visualize what is being said in a guide such as yours until you try it. Then things that may have been confusing become clear when you do them yourself.
It is a large document and new players can feel overwhelmed. I was trying to encourage new players to work on it in small pieces. 8)

balazsk
Novice Crafter

Post by balazsk » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:21 am

I think we all agree (at least those of us that read the guide :) ) that Zimoon did a very solid job, so I hope that slight misunderstanding is cleared up nicely.

Hi everyone, I justed checked out this forum after digging into swgcraft.com. Good to see all the activity here. One question: is there any other way to earn a living as a trader before you get to have your own house complete with vendors and stuff (after you install them of course) than going about the place hunting for resources, sampling, and assembling simple stuff? Not that I'm having financial problems or anything, only I wish to "live a full life", if you see what I mean.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:32 am

Just to ensure everybody, I did not take it as some bad critics. Rather I am always very keen on tips and suggestions to enhance that guide as well as polish my English. No need for blush nor anything else. Never be afraid of telling me how to do things better.

Now I only wish I had the time to update/upgrade the guide to current game play :(

/Z

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:34 am

balazsk wrote:I think we all agree (at least those of us that read the guide :) ) that Zimoon did a very solid job, so I hope that slight misunderstanding is cleared up nicely.

Hi everyone, I justed checked out this forum after digging into swgcraft.com. Good to see all the activity here. One question: is there any other way to earn a living as a trader before you get to have your own house complete with vendors and stuff (after you install them of course) than going about the place hunting for resources, sampling, and assembling simple stuff? Not that I'm having financial problems or anything, only I wish to "live a full life", if you see what I mean.
Thanks for your compliments.

There are a section in that guide on how to earn some credits. One is to go space :)
The other one is to harvest and sell Energy.

/Z

Milara
Novice Crafter

Post by Milara » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:55 pm

*nodnod* People looking to buy completed products will tend to choose a completed product with all of the experimentation and skill tree points applied to its making, which does sort of leave a newer crafter out of the fold a bit. But if you're looking to be a shipwright, you need to know the ships and the parts anyway. Grinding space and selling looted space parts (I sell mine on a vendor, 10k per cert level but you can also sell to chassis dealer for a quick fix) is an excellent source of cash as well as a great way to get to know what the profession requires. Selling resources is also a good way to get into the mix, so long as you're not so greedy that only desperate people will buy what you're selling. As a crafter, profit may be an ultimate goal, however particularly when just starting, you only need to meet costs and focus on upgrading your equipment while you're doing the grind.

Also, don't be afraid to look for a good social circuit to hang out in. Sometimes turnaround for being a team player can reap rewards you never expected. Like any good business, you sometimes have the choice to make a bit of a gamble. Personal favors and a good reputation are as good as cash in the bank. There are those who assume that becoming a SW overnight will somehow make them rich as rich can be and those types don't last long. It's the SWs that pay attention to their business and seek to do their part for the community as a whole that gain moral (and even financial) support as they climb the grind ladder as well as establishing good roots for business once master.

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:29 pm

Milara wrote:...It's the SWs that pay attention to their business and seek to do their part for the community as a whole that gain moral (and even financial) support as they climb the grind ladder as well as establishing good roots for business once master.
/cheer; /applaud;
To be a crafter in this game you have to have a sense of the community in the game. You have to want to be a part of it, and seek to carve out your place in it and the contribution you will make to the SWG community.
Even though it was four years ago, I vividly recall the first player house I ever saw in this game. It struck me that where once there was only wilderness, now a piece of civilization had been started. I realized that players with vision would make an impact on this game, that we had an oppertunity to build something that could last.
Its that sense of belonging, that what I do makes a difference to the game and the others who play it, that keeps me coming back. Im a shipwright. I build the starships that players fly into space.