Solar vs Geothermal ?

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Architect Expertise.

Moderators: Savacc, Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

danhanegan
Novice Crafter

Solar vs Geothermal ?

Post by danhanegan » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:51 am

I notice the schematics for Solar and Geothermal energy harvesters seem to use exactly the same resources. The Architect FAQ thread says max BER on both of these is 15.

Yet on my server (Bloodfin) I see a lot more geothermal energy for sale than solar. Is there some advantage to geothermal harvesters vs solar? Or is this just a case of players using geothermal due to the "newest must be coolest" factor?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:15 am

Geothermal Energy is also used for Beast Mastery, while all other forms of Energy are only used by factories, etc.

While on it, as soon as you can harvest Radioactive (any Mineral harvester will do if you don't have a Fusion) that is what you want. Here are the PE caps for all of the Energy types:
Wind Energy: PE 1 - 400
Solar Energy: PE 200 - 600
Geothermal Energy: PE 200 - 1000
Class 1 Radioactive: PE 500 - 593
Class 2 Radioactive: PE 550 - 664
Class 3 Radioactive: PE 621 - 736
Class 4 Radioactive: PE 693 - 807
Class 5 Radioactive: PE 764 - 879
Class 6 Radioactive: PE 836 - 950
Class 7 Radioactive: PE 907 - 1000
High Grade Polymetric Radioactive: PE 1 - 1000

Also remember that PE of Energy, when used as power, has a bonus while over 500. More on that is read in the stickied Beginners Guide for Traders over at the General Crafting board.

/Z
Last edited by Zimoon on Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xorbok
Forum Moderator

Post by xorbok » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:04 pm

Actually, geothermal can be used as energy like any other energy, at least in harvestors, not sure about factories, but i think so. However, geothermal is the only energy that can be used by the incubators in beast mastery. Additionally, like Z said, the PE tends to be higher in the geothermal than in the solar. But ultimately, I think the "newest is the coolest" still may have a bit to do with it as well.
ImageImage

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:19 pm

OK, I stand corrected and have updated the above listings accordingly. The caps of Geothermal is 200 to 1000 so whenever a good spawn it surpasses most other resources.
/Z

danhanegan
Novice Crafter

Post by danhanegan » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:58 am

Thanks for the info. Sounds like geothermal are the way to go, the higher potential PE alone gives them an advantage.

I've been away since pre CU, thought they might have fixed solar harvesters, which were useless pre-CU since BER was no better than the much cheaper wind generators. Seems like the devs still have no love for solar harvesters.

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:02 pm

For some reason I thought Geothermal could not be used as power, and may have given Z that impression. I just tried it, and my factory did take it as a power source. :oops:

Radioactives are still your best bet for power though.

xorbok
Forum Moderator

Post by xorbok » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:50 pm

I would whole heartedly agree that normally radioactive, particularly higher rad's, are better over all for power. This plus the fact that you can pull radioactive with mineral harvestors and/or fusion generators makes it pretty easy to get too. However, overall, the best of any type of power is whatever has the highest potential energy.
ImageImage

VigX
Novice Crafter

Re: Solar vs Geothermal ?

Post by VigX » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:20 pm

One thing I like about the geo's are they have a smaller foot print and are easier to place.

dirtyharryuk
Novice Crafter

Post by dirtyharryuk » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:25 pm

Does harvisting reactive damage the harvister more than normal?

i was going to build some fusions but if i can use my elites then theres no point.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:16 pm

Radioactive causes no damage at all. The cap is BER19 vs. Elites at BER44.

Remember that the higher PE in the energy gives a bonus. That is explained in the Beginners Guide for Traders in the General Crafting forum. That is why skilled Traders always pick up the higher radioactive classes as they have the higher PE, always.

Finally, welcome here and congrats to your first post :D

/Zimoon

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:56 pm

Besides the fact that 3 BER 19 Fusions will outproduce one BER 44 Elite Mineral, Fusions (and all other energy harvesters) are self powered and you save a bit by not having to put energy into them.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:09 pm

Savacc wrote:Besides the fact that 3 BER 19 Fusions will outproduce one BER 44 Elite Mineral, Fusions (and all other energy harvesters) are self powered and you save a bit by not having to put energy into them.
/slap self
How stupid can I be on a normal Tuesday and my brain is in for service, or whatever it is. Either way, today I have been on autopilot all day, no wonder people are looking funny at me. I should stay looking TV now with my family :oops:

/Zimoon