Selling Furniture

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Architect Expertise.

Moderators: Savacc, Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Tech Twin
Intermediate Crafter

Selling Furniture

Post by Tech Twin » Tue May 05, 2009 7:47 pm

Okay, so I have a question regarding the sale of furniture and would like the other archie's input.

The sale of furniture... does it sell? Do you do factory runs with the generic names? Do you leave them blank?

I like the RP feel of furniture and tend to leave them nameless when I crat for myself and friends but to sell them on a vendor seems difficult.

What are your thoughts.

The Namasoon Zoo as featured on Garva's "Home Show"; Nostalgia from SWG of Old!

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Selling Furniture

Post by Zimoon » Tue May 05, 2009 8:37 pm

I must admit that I do not sell much furniture other than on request, but I have a feeling that furniture is not a big money-bringer. Personally I adore no-name stuff that do not clutter the scenery of a great design. However, too many players seem to have a hard time finding a chair when it is not named "chair" and hence ... yeah, I do not put too much energy into furniture but on request :(

/Zimoon

fridge33sam
Intermediate Crafter

Post by fridge33sam » Wed May 06, 2009 11:51 am

can't you rename furniture? It has been a while, but I know that lately I have been 'customizing' the names of my book cases for ease of browsing, even though they were made a long time ago. I haven't tried, but does that only apply to containers?
Iron Chef Slakkarr CEO, Fishboi Industries

Guild Joker Nagurra CFO, Wookhunter Enterprises

All Vendors located in Ft Revolt, 800 Meters from the Rebel Outpost on Rori, Flurry Server.

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Wed May 06, 2009 12:57 pm

fridge33sam wrote:can't you rename furniture? It has been a while, but I know that lately I have been 'customizing' the names of my book cases for ease of browsing, even though they were made a long time ago. I haven't tried, but does that only apply to containers?
Only containers as far as I am aware

Tech Twin
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Tech Twin » Wed May 06, 2009 1:57 pm

Yes, you can change the name of containers only. All other furniture is set the name given at the time of manufacture.

Thanks for the input, folks.

The Namasoon Zoo as featured on Garva's "Home Show"; Nostalgia from SWG of Old!

fridge33sam
Intermediate Crafter

Post by fridge33sam » Wed May 06, 2009 4:26 pm

Tech Twin wrote:Yes, you can change the name of containers only. All other furniture is set the name given at the time of manufacture.

Thanks for the input, folks.
Maybe we could get that requested via the Structures Senator? If we can change the names of containers, why not furniture?
Iron Chef Slakkarr CEO, Fishboi Industries

Guild Joker Nagurra CFO, Wookhunter Enterprises

All Vendors located in Ft Revolt, 800 Meters from the Rebel Outpost on Rori, Flurry Server.

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Wed May 06, 2009 6:46 pm

Originally, the only way to rename anything was at the final crafting screen, otherwise the item got the default name. At first, only backpacks could be used as "storage devices". Players began to request that they be able to "rename" the backpacks they were dropping in houses as storage containers. The devs agreed this would be a good idea.
Flast forward several years past the CU and NGE. Players long complained that backpacks hanging on walls were unsightly. We had several pieces of furniture: cabinets, bookcases, armoires, tool chests, that could be used as storage devises but were not. Eventually, the devs listen to us again and give us more storage devise options. Originally, these new furniture storage devises could not be renamed, as was the case before they were storage devises. A couple months down the road we get the ability to rename the new furniture storage devises too.
Fast forward to today. We have a new line of "Rustic Furniture" some of which are storage devises. Of those storage devises, the armoire does not have the rename option. The "Elegant Furniture" Armoire does not have the rename option either, but all other Armoires in the game do. This is considered a "bug".

The general rule is, and always has been, that only the crafter of an item can change its name at the items creation. Only storage devises allow the customer the option to rename them. Personally, I think this is the way it should be. A lot of crafters want to be able to put their "brand name" on their products, or put specs or price into the items "name". If a customer cares how the items are named, they can put in a special order. For furniture, I know a lot of people prefer "no name". I once helped a French player decorate his house and he wanted all French names for his furniture.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed May 06, 2009 7:46 pm

I fully agree with Savacc on this one, if the names are important to you, make a special order. As a crafter, and I am not greedy or so, items not possible to rename indeed contributes towards my and other traders income, right?

IMHO there are bigger fishes in SWG that the Devs should go hunting down before this thingie 8)

/Zimoon