Grinding Architect

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Architect Expertise.

Moderators: Savacc, Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Raanfalle
Novice Crafter

Grinding Architect

Post by Raanfalle » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:51 am

As an experienced Architect I repeatedly see new people coming into the profession asking what should they grind to become a Master Architect. At one time Gungan Heads were the structure to grind and now...I'm not sure what is best (mainly because I never used this method for grinding) but for those that have little money and limited resources I suggest grinding Structure Modules.

Now, I know a lot of you would disagree, thinking that this is impractical, and maybe it is for someone with a lot of funds to back them up and/or a lot of resources readily available but for someone new, grinding Structure Modules only requires 200 Ore and 50 Metal of any type for each Module. That is only 2 resources and 20 harvesters to obtain them with if you use both your main and alternate character slots. This combined with the fact that you can grind using The Ultimate Crafting Macro (See the Architect FAQ post) which makes the job much easier.

Down Side: Yeah Yeah...I know when you reach level 50+ each Structure Module will only give you a tiny experience gain and it takes like 80 Structure Modules to gain one level at the end.

Up Side: 80 Structure Modules gives you the necessary structures to make 8 small houses, or 8 walls which can make 1.5 medium houses or 3/4 of a large house. Thats for 1 level and you are grinding 90 levels. That doesn't count the other buildings you will need Structure Modules and walls in like factores, guild halls, and harvesters. You are not grinding something you can't sell or have 1000 of like you did when you could grind Gungan Heads. Structure Modules give you something you will need to get your business going....something you can use now...not put in long term storage or destroy. When I finished Master I had so many Structure Modules and Walls I became an instant competitor in the house, factory, and harvester market with my vendors bulging with product.

Personally, I thought it was a waste to put all the money, time, and effort into making something I couldn't sell or use immediately...ie Gungan Heads or whatever is the current grinding structure is now. I am curious how many other feel the same way or prefer to sacrifice time, money, and resources to get to Master quick so they can get to grinding for profit.

So what path did the rest of you follow?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Grinding Architect

Post by Zimoon » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:31 am

My fledgling Architect is currently Cl 60+ and I have so far only crafted the structure types I have had access to. On average, a medium house deed has given one level.

Generator Turbines gives quite a bang and are made of recycled stuff.
Walls gives good XP, including the Structural Modules, and can be stored for later use.

So far I have seen no point in wasting resources on speed-grinding.

I have not looked into SW, mainly since I suck as Pilot so my knowledge is limited.

/Zimoon

exhibit69
Novice Crafter

Post by exhibit69 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:52 am

Oh my. Can of worms lol.

I have been grinding my fledgling trader on structure modules and walls as well. I believe this is the most cost effective way to level up.
However, when i originally ground up her partner, i speed ground on crafting tools, crafting stations, fountains and gungan heads. Because i was already a master trader on another server, i did not need the experiance or the knowledge of subcomponents and techniques that come from a slower, non grind progression. I also kept a close watch on the resource market during my grind phase, and spent cr wisely but freely on ore and generic metal. Look at those expenditures as a long term investment in your skills, and you will find them a bit easier to spend :)

While some Shipwright items grant tons of experiance is a short time frame, they are also VERY expensive in terms of used resources. You'll get the exp fast, but at a cost to your long term experiance. I wont post the actual numbers here, as im sure savacc has them handy, but all you need to do is compare the exp you will get from <for example> a tier 2 or 3 starship hull to the exp you will gain from investing those same resources into wall modules and generator turbines.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:44 pm

You are right, exhibit, if you already have the expertise of a true master, and can afford it, then there is no reason why not to speed-grind for those that so want to. I see no can of worms in that and I only advise newcomers to level up as they play :)

/Zimoon

Astari_Shipyards
Novice Crafter

Post by Astari_Shipyards » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:33 pm

Depending on what server you're on, and what the population there is like (plummeting sadly on most servers), I wouldn't rule out making certain ship chassis for sale. No one really wants the T1 models unless you can really experiment them well, and even then they won't be too popular. A lot of new pilots like to get the ship models available to them at each new tier but don't want to spend the money on well-made ones (and it's true that certain ships aren't that useful).

A lot of high-end shipwrights may find it in their interest to buy a small supply of ships to sell new customers so they can keep using their high-end resources for components and expensive chassis, and sell affordable ones to new customers. I used to pick stuff up off vendors and the bazaar and resell it on my vendor for the same price for that reason...was a lot simpler than constantly explaining that I didn't have chassis on hand because I didn't make them regularly, or buying lower grade resources to make my own supply (a shipwright usully needs to keep the harvesters going on the best resources possible).

Or if you don't know any operating shipwrights, make a couple dunelizards (experiment for mass) and drop them on a vendor, see how they sell. Then maybe try a couple x-wings and kimoglia. Those three are workhorse ships that will get used in levelling up the pilot tree. If priced reasonable, they should sell on a populated server. I wouldn't make the T4 stuff for sale unless you're a skilled shipwright as those take a ton of resources and people might not want to pay if the mass is too low.

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:34 am

Shipwright schematics only give one fourth the exp that other schematics do. Otherwise making ship chassis would be the way to grind structures. There is a stickied thread on the SOE structures forum describing how to grind structures using Fountains in place of Gungan Heads, but I really recommend against it. I am in complete agreement with Raanfalle that it is better to make structure mods and turn them into walls, to make something usefull, instead of "grinding in practice mode".

Hodru
I've been here for 30 days and all I get is this lousy rank?!?!

Post by Hodru » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:39 pm

I'm a big fan of grinding architect with walls. You get something you're going to use a lot of in the future, so it doesn't waste money. I've done it several times now.

Ruh
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Ruh » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:08 pm

Raanfalle wrote:So what path did the rest of you follow?
I don't know what term you guys use for my kind :p. But...I used "THE" structures trader grind as an avenue to lvl90 in other trader professions. More specifically Engineer and Tailor so far. My 3rd crafter is remaining Structures while I do some decorating.

If you are looking for the fastest way to grind...then structures is probably the way to go followed by a respect to wherever you need to get to. It took me no longer than 1.5 hrs (probably closer to 1hr 15mins) to grind from lvl5 structures to lvl 90. I did this twice in one day less than a week ago with the same results.

Granted, it would leave the average person with zero knowledge of how to craft in their given profession and the effects of experimentation etc. Buuut, that doesn't bother me much as I have a pretty good handle on Tailor from previous experience. However, I'm sure my head will explode once I get into Engineering or Munitions, more than just the RE aspect lol.

How I did it:

Experience buff + trader buff
The path I took:
Make survey tools until CL 10.
Make Wind Power Generators from CL 10 - 18.
Make Crafting Stations from CL 18 - 42.
Make Fountains from CL 42 - 86.
Make Gungan Head Statues from CL 86 - 90

The resources needed (slightly less than actually):
200,000 metal
2,000 aluminum
3,000 steel
500,000 low grade ore
200,000 water
60,000 gemstone
Ruh [Bounty Hunter] - Ruh' [Smuggler] - Reh [Jedi] - Reh' [Spy] - Ryh [Medic] - Ryh' [Dancer] - Rih' [Commando] - 'Rih [Officer]
ShiodIndustries [Domestics] - ShiodInduztries [Engineer] - ShiodIndustriez [Architect] - ShiodInduztriez [Munitions]
Starsider

exhibit69
Novice Crafter

Post by exhibit69 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:33 am

We call your kind, Smart.

Kexi
Novice Crafter

Post by Kexi » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:59 pm

That rapid grinding approach should only be done if you've level another trader already.

Otherwise you will have the ability to play your prof, but no idea how. And it's really easy to spot traders that have taken this route, as they don't know what they are talking about.

Take your time and enjoy it, and stockpile some resources so you can actually do some actual crafting when you get there. Besides, every trader prof has stuff that level 90's want that you can craft from like 18 onwards:

Structures - every deed and harvester you get

Munitions - grenades, and you can make CL88 weapons starting around level 30. Armor is always in huge demand.

Domestics - Say it with me: BESPIN PORT. You get this early on, and it's always in huge demand.

Engineer - make combat droids of various CL's. I can't find an Engineer that's will to make me a CL40 droid for my combat toon that I'm slowly grinding - I would kill for one.

KEXI: Master Weaponsmith on Flurry - Need a capped weapon? Mail me in game - SWGcraft contributors get a special discount