RE - Chicken or Egg?

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on Reverse Engineering.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Harpua
Novice Crafter

RE - Chicken or Egg?

Post by Harpua » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:58 pm

9 months or so back in the game and I've finally decided to learn how to RE. I've been putting it off mostly because I didn't understand it. Now that my smuggler has finally reached 90, there's an urgency to beef him up. Every time I take out a combat character, I am reminded why I usually stick with crafting.

So after lamenting the fact that I sold craptons of junk loot, I realized the big problem is enough statted loot to make power bits. Since I haven't seen anything beyond a +22, I started reading more into it.

Either the person who created RE was a madman or a sadist. Probably a little of both. But from what I can read, it looks like the way to a high power bit is to drop an SEA into a piece of socketed clothing, pull it out and hope it magically increases.

The big thing seems to be you have to increase your RE chance and your luck. Mostly from SEAs in clothing, weapons and armor. Which is where the title comes in.

In order to create high level SEAa, you need to have stuff loaded with high level SEAs. Which I suppose at this point I could buy (if I had a ton of credits). But how much frustration was involved in creating the first set of +35 power bits? And who was the masochist that finally realized that was as good as it gets?

Anyway, I'm off to hand sample so maybe I can get the cybernetic deconstruction arm. Wish me luck :wink:

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: RE - Chicken or Egg?

Post by Zimoon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:50 pm

Hehe, yeah, initially there was quite a bit of self-tormenting :)

Remember that those days the first guides indicates that many players did not even understand that they could boost power by recursive iterations of more RE of the created items. But quickly the bulb lit up and then the hunt for highest possible statted loot turned into endless AFK-hoarding of junk crap loot for the bazillions of modifier bits for the process.

Not long ago the RE-enhance-module was added to game, and now the number of iterations are reduced considerably, but not completely taken out of the picture.

However, chicken and egg, we have the same thing while creating a 15.00 crafting tool, starting with the generic tool you end up with a -6 crafting tool but it at least allows for experimenting, so 3 to 5 iterations later you have your precious 15.00. And there are more examples, right?

I am no big fan of how RE is implemented but in the end of the day it follows any other game-pattern: precious stuff is usually the result from big time-sinks. In this case the sink is located at the Traders, not the users, but that also opens up for pricier stuff 8)

Zimoon

HydroTek
Intermediate Crafter

Post by HydroTek » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:09 am

Check out the Re guide ,quite a lot explained there :)

Start where you can and work your way up ..soon you will have capped RE suit, I am working on a complete set of crafting suits for my traders using this method. Really just a basic luck suit with interchangeable chest, shirt, and weapon for each trader type.

When you are able to make a 35 luck, 3 RE chest and weapon, dont forget to craft in a RE mod, this will get you a 4 RE value. You will need to max your RE skill to make the 11 or 12 power RE pups.
If it's stuck :x ...force it ...if it breaks, :shock: you needed a new one anyway :)
Characters: HydroTek, Ditty, and Talo ..give a shout if you see me in game

Nautillus
Novice Crafter

Post by Nautillus » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:43 pm

Harpua wrote:The big thing seems to be you have to increase your RE chance and your luck. Mostly from SEAs in clothing, weapons and armor. Which is where the title comes in. You aare correct. But this is a great time and way to learn the re process.

In order to create high level SEAa, you need to have stuff loaded with high level SEAs. true, you can make your own high level SEAs though read below.

Which I suppose at this point I could buy (if I had a ton of credits). But how much frustration was involved in creating the first set of +35 power bits?
None Really. If you are an engineer make a factory run of survival knives, Domestics make shirts or belts, and Munitions make Mabri(sp?) belts (these take stuff from other traders btw so munitions is costliest).Go and Loot as much 21+ stat loot as you can get. (no necessary to start but easier)
Go and get as much junk loot as you can get
Make a factory run of re-enhancement tools (cap em)
Re the junk loot to make basic stat bits (lck, str, agi, con, sta, camo,)
Make cap re-tool

Ok now we are ready to craft some stuff.

Ok a little frustrating
first off you need a shirt, chestplate, and a weapon each with a socket) and a full set of armor, and a psg or belt.
make a powerbit for each item - put the stat loot and a re-enh mod into your re-tool and re.

(2 for the chest, shirt, and weapon) and find the appropriate crafter to turn the powerbit into a luck sea, and a luck/re for the shirt, weap, and chest.
(dom = clothing, eng = weap, munitions = armor including belt or psg

after you have your basic suit make a set of power bits to create an re pup for your weap, shirt, and chest. (power bit and modifier bit in tool and create pup). Note the higher your re the more powerful the pup.

Now this is where you rinse and repeat till you hit 35 and get your best pups. Make an sea as above. take the sea and attach it to one of your factory items just like your suit items. put this into your re tool along with an re enha module and re that, this will boost your origional power bit up to a higher level.

Good luck,

Naut

Anyway, I'm off to hand sample so maybe I can get the cybernetic deconstruction arm. Wish me luck :wink:
Icthys Max, Shipwright - Starsider
Nautillus, Weaponsmith - Starsider
Mannaray, Droids - Bloodfin
Willum Hammersmith, Structures - Chimaera
U'ss, Droids - Chimaera

Harpua
Novice Crafter

Post by Harpua » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:26 am

I'm actually kind of embarrassed as there's a topic about 5 topics down that's almost the same thing. Would help to read first.

Zimoon made me think about something when he talked about time sinks. In the old days, skill tapes dropped from mobs sometimes, but most that I looted came from the POI caves. I liked the Erran Sif compound on Talus because it was close to my home. Search the unlocked containers a couple times a day and hope you get lucky.

But the best one was the Borgle Bat cave. And for some reason the high value tapes always spawned in one container. I can remember traveling there to check it out. At a certain time about 4 or 5 toons would spawn, everyone would try to loot the container, then they'd all log out. It was still a time sink, just a different kind.

Over the course of the last two nights, I've managed to get two parts of a 3 stat shirt attachment. Would have finished it but didn't have the loot to make an RE chance modifier. Did waste some time last night trying to upgrade a +32 power bit before I finally figured I just didn't have the RE chance high enough. Not looking forward to making that 3rd order power bit.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:19 pm

Harpua wrote:I'm actually kind of embarrassed as there's a topic about 5 topics down that's almost the same thing. Would help to read first.

Zimoon made me think about something when he talked about time sinks. In the old days, skill tapes dropped from mobs sometimes, but most that I looted came from the POI caves. I liked the Erran Sif compound on Talus because it was close to my home. Search the unlocked containers a couple times a day and hope you get lucky.

But the best one was the Borgle Bat cave. And for some reason the high value tapes always spawned in one container. I can remember traveling there to check it out. At a certain time about 4 or 5 toons would spawn, everyone would try to loot the container, then they'd all log out. It was still a time sink, just a different kind.

Over the course of the last two nights, I've managed to get two parts of a 3 stat shirt attachment. Would have finished it but didn't have the loot to make an RE chance modifier. Did waste some time last night trying to upgrade a +32 power bit before I finally figured I just didn't have the RE chance high enough. Not looking forward to making that 3rd order power bit.
LOL, yeah, the Borgle Bat Cave, been there, logged in, tried to loot, looged out, rinse and repeat every 4th hour. Was student those days so... 8)