need alittle help with weapon making

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Weaponsmith Expertise.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

jniebaum32
Novice Crafter

need alittle help with weapon making

Post by jniebaum32 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:23 am

I've been messing around, mostly unsuccessfully trying to get the maximum possible DPS on weapons (mostly guns). I know the top O' the line rescources help its the experimentation. What increases the weapons damage the most, upping the Min damage or the Max damage, or should I even them out. Any hints or pointers will be very appreciated.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Re: need alittle help with weapon making

Post by Monty Burns » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:07 am

For the most part I max "Max damage" and then put the rest into "min damage".
All going well you can cap a weapon with an 8/5 or a 9/4 experimentation (8 experimentation points in Max damage and an amazing success then the rest in Min damage).

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:04 am

Im not a WS, in fact I have never been a WS. However, just a couple observations on crafting in general:

Monty, an 8/5 or 9/4 split in experimenting Max Dam and Min Dam lines will not result in maxing the Max Dam line. A 9/4 split could, but only if you got an "amazing success" on the first 8 experimentation boxes.

There are three ways to "max" a line (get it to 100%) also known as "capping". It can be done in 9 boxes, but 8 must be "amazings". It can be done in 10 boxes, if at least one is an "amazing". If you only get "great successes" it will take you 11 boxes to get to 100%.

In a case like WS where two lines matter, I would think most crafters would say, never spend 11 boxes to "cap" one line. If you have spent 10 boxes and you are at 99%, it is kind of a waste to use a whole box to go to 100%. You would be better off spending that 11th point on Min Dam.

So my advise to Jniebaum would be: your goal is to max the Max Dam line with 9 boxes, but if you have to, spend 10. Then the rest goes into Min Dam. :wink:

Is separate Max Dam and Min Dam lines new for WS? I seem to recall that the NGE had just one line for Damage, that raised both Max and Min Dam, then another line for Elemental Damage?

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:48 pm

Savacc wrote:Im not a WS, in fact I have never been a WS. However, just a couple observations on crafting in general:

Monty, an 8/5 or 9/4 split in experimenting Max Dam and Min Dam lines will not result in maxing the Max Dam line. A 9/4 split could, but only if you got an "amazing success" on the first 8 experimentation boxes.

There are three ways to "max" a line (get it to 100%) also known as "capping". It can be done in 9 boxes, but 8 must be "amazings". It can be done in 10 boxes, if at least one is an "amazing". If you only get "great successes" it will take you 11 boxes to get to 100%.

In a case like WS where two lines matter, I would think most crafters would say, never spend 11 boxes to "cap" one line. If you have spent 10 boxes and you are at 99%, it is kind of a waste to use a whole box to go to 100%. You would be better off spending that 11th point on Min Dam.

So my advise to Jniebaum would be: your goal is to max the Max Dam line with 9 boxes, but if you have to, spend 10. Then the rest goes into Min Dam. :wink:

Is separate Max Dam and Min Dam lines new for WS? I seem to recall that the NGE had just one line for Damage, that raised both Max and Min Dam, then another line for Elemental Damage?
This isn't quite true, it is possible to max a weapons max damage without filling the max damage box I have done this many times mainly with pistols.

Also yes the current experimentation window is two lines, Maximum Damage and Minimum Damage.

jniebaum32
Novice Crafter

Post by jniebaum32 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:51 am

Thanks for all the tips guys/gals.

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:24 am

A pistol experimented to 92% and one experimented to 100% have the same Max Dam numbers? :shock:

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:17 am

Savacc wrote:A pistol experimented to 92% and one experimented to 100% have the same Max Dam numbers? :shock:
Just to prove my point...

As you will notice the maximum damage is 559 which if you check the SOE forums is cap for the Kashyyyk Stalker Pistol yet the experimentation is only 94%.

The weapon itself is 3 points off cap due to a "Great" experimentation in the minimum damage line.

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:18 am

I am surprised. :shock: but have never been a weaponsmith.

This just illustrates the type of knowledge that separates the cl90 from the true master of a craft. :wink:

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:27 am

Savacc wrote:I am surprised. :shock: but have never been a weaponsmith.

This just illustrates the type of knowledge that separates the cl90 from the true master of a craft. :wink:

Hehe I have been a weaponsmith since the early days of the game, I started him as an alt in the days of 1 toon per account and he quickly became my main but I still find myself learning something new on a regular basis and to be honest it was only a few months ago I found out about this myself.

The funny thing is that I can never get the same result with rifles I always end up 1 point short and have to use the extra experiment point.