Combat Module Variety

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Droid Engineer Expertise.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Combat Module Variety

Post by wrackspurt » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:44 pm

Just wondering. Do people think it's better to have a variety of different combat modules in a droid, or several of the same kind?

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Re: Combat Module Variety

Post by Monty Burns » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:06 am

I tend to max out 1 type of attack and then work on shields and regen.

The reason for this is pretty straight forward, I use my droids as a shield for my trader so it is more important that I can keep them alive longer than it is that they do more damage.

I figure that my damage + droid damage will be enough to handle most mobs I will run into as long as the droid stays alive long enough.

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:39 am

That makes good sense. So which do you find more effective defensively in combat, the droideka shield or auto-repair?

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:31 am

wrackspurt wrote:That makes good sense. So which do you find more effective defensively in combat, the droideka shield or auto-repair?
I tend to go with the shield module but regen is nice if you can fit it as well.

Zbignew
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Zbignew » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:31 pm

Since combat toons can only use level 1 specials, it may be more important to have many specials to fire off while the timers are running. It also depends on if they want a ranged attack, a tank, etc. There's always a lot of customizing for requests for different levels as well. I try to guide folks based on their needs, many don't know much about which droid will work best for them. good luck.

Zbig
Proji--------------------------Syotr
Wannabe Droid Engineer-- Wannabe Ranger

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:55 am

You know, when I first read that only traders could have CL90 droids, I felt like we were finally getting some special treatment. But as time has gone on, and especially with combat toons only getting the LVL1 special abilities, I'm starting to seriously feel ashamed of the product that we put out. I mean, I'd like to know that I'm selling good stuff, that CL90 droids could match up with CL90 pets. But they just seem so weak insignificant, unless we're using them. We're crafters and sellers, not lightweight combat characters. The devs say CL90 droids in the hands of combat toons would upset the balance or some such thing, but I really don't see how.

sambril
Novice Crafter

Post by sambril » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:16 pm

Since you can max out any of the combat specials with a single module if you can cap it, I always try to fit as many different special types as possible. For any droid that can take at least 6 combat modules, needed for a droid to be CL90, it will have all 6 specials.

For other droids I will include shield and regen if possible in addition to any attack specials I might want. For example on a probot advanced with 5 harvest modules (for a max 100 bonus) I have 3 slots I can use for specials. I use shield, regen and electric attack. This gives a CL63 droid (CL60 for non-trader) that is a good balance between bonus to harvesting and survivability and combat help.

(former) Engineering Senator

Sambril Starlight, FarStar: Elder Entertainer, Alliance General (retired), Basilisk: Master Entertainer, Master Dancer, Musician, Image Designer.
Joylin Lightstar, FarStar: Elder Droid Engineer, Basilisk: Droid Engineer