DE questions, think I am beginning to understand.

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Droid Engineer Expertise.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

baldysm
Novice Crafter

DE questions, think I am beginning to understand.

Post by baldysm » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:47 am

I wanna see if I am understanding which components I need to make high quality correctly.

If I'm making a ASN-121 combat droid, the ONLY things that require my best resources and experimentation are the optional 2 combat service modules and the defensive module harness?

Everything else, including the chassis and the resources used in the deed itself can be bulk resources? Do I understand correctly?

I'm a bit confused about combat modules. The ASN-121 can take 2 combat modules. Do I use 2 plain combat modules, 1 plain and 1 flame jet for example, or 2 flame jets? Haven't quite wrapped my head around how those all relate.

I'm looking at the CL chart at http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/post ... _id=633720. To make a CL 40 droid, I need to get the combat rating to between 709 and 713. I didn't see where the combat rating number comes from and what I need to do to hit that target.

Any helpful hints are appreciated.

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Re: DE questions, think I am beginning to understand.

Post by thegreywolfe » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:31 am

The new combat modules serve two purposes, they add specials for you to control for your droid, and they also add to the combat rating. The basic combat module only adds to the combat rating for your droid.

The page you linked to in your post is an excellent guide for crafting droids, and it's got all you need for which components to experiment and go for high quality on.

baldysm
Novice Crafter

Post by baldysm » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:18 pm

Well, I'm not understanding something correctly.

I was trying to make a CL 40 Droideka for one of my characters. Needed to have a combat rating of between 709 and 713. I used 8 modules, 2 plain combat modules, and 6 electric/shield/torture/flame modules.

6 of the modules had a combat module rating of 97-103 or so. 1 module had a moderate success on experimentation, and 1 I purposely didn't fully experiment with to hit my 709-713 target. They all added up to 718 or a CL 41 droid.

However, when I got everything assembled, I ended up with a CL 71 droid, experimented up to a CL 72.

I'm thinking the "new" modules you refer to (electric/shield/torture/flame) add more combat rating than is indicated when I make the module. In the Droideka description, there's a "fire potency" rating of 127. If I add similar ratings from all 4 new modules to the 718 I had, I get 1192.

Is fire potency essentially the same as CR? If both the fire potency and combat module rating are 100, then that module would add 200 CR to the droid? Assuming that is true, is there a chart someplace that has the CR needed to 61-90 droids?

Sorry, I'm pretty much a SWG noob.

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:51 pm

No worries about being a noob man, everyone is at one point or another.

One quick question though on your droid, is the character using it a crafter? Part of the change to the new droids is that crafters can have level 90 droids. So a droid that would be level 60 for anyone else is a level 90 for us.

Reeth
I came here on the bandwagon

Post by Reeth » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:17 pm

The way Combat Rating relates to Combat Level changed with update 12, so the information in the Droid Engineering 101 guide is out of date. The new method for determining Combat Level is described in this thread: Guide to Droid Combat Level and Armor in GU12.

The new special attacks have three levels of effect and the 'potency' value only determines what level of the attack is available to the droid, it has no connection to combat rating or the final level of the droid.

A potency between 1 and 49 results in a level 1 special, 50 to 99 gives a level 2 and 100 or more results in a level 3 special. The actual potency value makes no difference to the damage output of the special, only the level used, so stacking much over 100 has no benefit. Note that combat characters are limited to using level 1 specials, only a trader can use level 2 or 3.

And yes, just about everything can be made using any old junk, but the combat modules do need good resources. Don't bother using the good stuff on armor either, unless you want to stack two of the lower level modules.

baldysm
Novice Crafter

Post by baldysm » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:19 pm

The character that will be using it is not a crafter. I am aware of the CL 60 limit on non-crafter characters. I suspect that the droid would be 'reduced' in level to CL 60 when used by a non-crafter toon, but I'm not at the level to see what happens.

The character that will be using the droid currently is 37/38, and is a smuggler.

Thanks!

baldysm
Novice Crafter

Post by baldysm » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:08 pm

Now I understand. 718 CR on the old scale is level 71.8 on the new one.

Light is beginning to shine....kinda :)

I tried using a merchant barker on a droid last night as well and didn't work real well. I have a droid I named Security, programmed some way points for him, and he was running around the store talking about shoplifters being fed to pet Rancors.

I know there is a bug that if your within 100m of the droid when you log, it will store, even with a merchant barker module. Everytime I logged, even when more than 100m away, the droid stored, which makes the merchant barker module pretty useless for me. Unless I was doing something wrong.

What does the set waypoint do on the merchant barker module? I set one in the store and it didnt seem to do anything.

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:30 am

Its no bug. I really hate spam. I dont like barker droids but if they have to be in the game, I want the owner to have to be logged in and near enough to suffer through the spam they are subjecting me to. I want the droids to store if you log out, leave the planet or just try to move more then 100m away.

You need to set at least two waypoints, then set the droid to "patrol". The droid will then move from waypoint to waypoint. When it reaches the last waypoint it returns to the first and begins the "patrol" again.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:03 am

And I disagree with Savacc 8)

Not completely though, of course the character must be in game, but wherever.

The opposite to barker droids, that do say something every 30 seconds but only if somebody is nearby, that are those nasty AFK-spammers all around the starports who yell, scream, shout, and who knows what, every 5th second. Being near them makes any RP a nightmare and the chat scrolls faster than I can read. So between the plague and cholera (in English: between bad and worse) I would hug a barker droid.

Of course, those evil spammers end up at my ignore in a tenth of a second, still they are annoying.

/Zimoon

PS: Just the other day I received an in-game mail asking me if I was ignoring somebody. No friend or so, but he wanted to ask me about SWGAide. Yupp, he was on my ignore list and he had tried to /tell me each time he saw me on-line :P
He won't spam no more he said :D

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:10 pm

No disagreement at all Z :wink: Player Spammers are far worse than Barker Droids. There is a checkbox to ignore AFK speech, I use that. I have used the "spam" feature on my vendors though to say a greeting to customers that enter my mall. :roll: