Happy New Decade!

The purpose of this board is for any announcements by the developers. Only developers can start topics on this board.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Sobuno
Developer

Happy New Decade!

Post by Sobuno » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:50 pm

We're nearing the end of 2009 (Approx. 10 hours and 10 minutes left here), which also means we're nearing the end of this decade. I just want to wish you all a happy new year, let's hope it's a good one :)

-Sobuno

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Happy New Decade!

Post by Zimoon » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:15 pm

I cannot but chime in and wish everybody a galactic evening and a starry night :D

The Dev team here has done a lot better than anybody of us from the old .com time ever imagined, congrats and may the next decade bring even more excitement to you Devs!!!

The community here has always shown itself from its best side, fun, skilled, and always helpful, cheers and may we continue to prove ourselves even better!!!

Now we can wish upon a star that that SOE continues to deliver in the same manner and better as they have done during 2009 and that the next decade may turn SWG into the MMO it is in our sweetest dreams.

Cheers Everybody!!!

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:03 pm

The other day a lady was telling us that 2010 is not the beginning of a new decade, just as 2000 was not the start of the new century or millennium. She has a point, we start counting in the year 1, there is no year 0. (There is evidence to suggest Jesus was born in the year 4, by the way :roll: ) However, if we accept that the first decade had only 9 years, the first century only 99 and the first millennium only 999, then we are on track now. :lol:

Happy New Year and New Decade, dont waste it on useless trivia. :mrgreen:

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:29 pm

Mathematically she is incorrect, even if that too is disputed.

However, IMHO the argument about no year zero is void because there was a history before year one and I guess nobody in contact with his constitution would say that there was not one year between the two falls, or springs, or whatever beginning point that was used in the location you lived. And if you were living in another culture .... what was the problem now again 8)

Hence, if you want to you can easily say that rooted at year 1 BC it took exactly 10 years to arrive at year 9. And that is no matter if you were born at year 1 BC or any other 10th year prior to that, you would turn x*10 at year 9.

The birth of Jesus, are you sure you don't mean year 4 BC? The only scholar I know who once said anything at this side of 0 (let's say 0 for simplicity), didn't they choke on some moon blackout which is mentioned in relation to one of the named individuals of the time? At least I nowadays use to see suggestions ranging 2 to 4 BC. Either way, the church screw up big time on computing that date :lol:

/Z

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:49 am

You are right it is 4 BC, not AD. That is what I get for trying to rely on my memory for verifying useless trivia. :oops:

As to counting at the year 1 BC, well, sure, whatever :roll:

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:35 pm

Savacc wrote:You are right it is 4 BC, not AD. That is what I get for trying to rely on my memory for verifying useless trivia. :oops:

As to counting at the year 1 BC, well, sure, whatever :roll:
AD, that was it, thanks, I scanned my memory but...
Cheers bro, may you live long and prosper, and may your enemies beards grow inwards :twisted:

/Zimoon

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:31 pm

Anno Domini
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Anno Domini (abbreviated as AD or A.D., sometimes found in the irregular form Anno Domine) and Before Christ (abbreviated as BC or B.C.) are designations used to number years in the Julian and Gregorian calendars. The calendar era to which they refer is based on the traditionally reckoned year of the conception or birth of Jesus, with AD denoting years after the start of this epoch, and BC denoting years before the start of this epoch. There is no year zero in this scheme, so the year AD 1 immediately follows the year 1 BC.
The term Anno Domini is Medieval Latin, translated as In the year of (the/Our) Lord. It is sometimes specified more fully as Anno Domini Nostri Iesu (Jesu) Christi ("In the Year of Our Lord Jesus Christ").

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:02 pm

hmmm, too much trivia, but

Happy New Years everyone!!!